The Society is a non-profit corporation of surgeons who have successfully completed the General Surgery residency of the Department of Surgery of the University of Southern California. The original training program began in 1927 at the Los Angeles County General Hospital, now designated as the Los Angeles County+University of Southern California Medical Center. Until July 1966 the program was shared by the College of Medical Evangelists (now Loma Linda University) and the University of Southern California. The SGS supports resident education, in particular it sends the Chief Residents to the American College of Surgeons Annual Clinical Congress. The Society shares the cost of the USC Department of Surgery reception at that Congress. A SGS reception and dinner is held each year in spring in conjunction with the C.J. Berne Visiting Professorship. That night it honors its 20 year graduates.