Thoracic Oncology Program
The Thoracic Oncology Program at the University of Southern California, located at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, offers patients with known or suspected lung cancer access to a comprehensive multidisciplinary team of specialists in a personalized environment. These experts in thoracic surgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology, and pulmonology convene in a true multi-specialty clinic setting so that patients may be seen by appropriate specialists all in one visit. Our program also benefits from a dedicated interventional chest radiologist and expert lung pathologist.
An experienced lung cancer nurse navigator works with the patient and referring physician's office to facilitate collection of the necessary medical records and imaging studies, and will schedule an appointment with our team of physicians, eliminating the need for referring physicians to determine which specialists the patient should see. Rather than simply discussing cases at a traditional tumor board, a team of the required specialists convene weekly to evaluate and examine the patient together to meet the needs of the individual.
Thoracic Oncology Program Highlights
State-of-the-Art Diagnostic Technology
Advanced Surgical Techniques
- Robotic lung resection (da Vinci®) - the only academic medical center in Los Angeles offering robotic lobectomy routinely for lung cancer
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lung resection
- Surgical treatment of stage IIIA disease
- Novel therapy for refractory malignant effusions
- Tracheal resection and brochoplastic surgery
- Click here for more information about advances in thoracic surgery offered at USC
Unique Radiation and Ablation Treatment Options
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (Cyberknife®)
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- 3-D conformal radiation therapy (3D CRT)
- CT-guided percutaneous thermal ablation or cryoablation
Personalized Systemic Therapy
- Tumor gene expression analysis for optimization of conventional chemotherapy
- Tumor mutational analysis for targeted biologic therapy
- Clinical trials for patients of all stages, I through IV
- Access to a constant flow of pipeline drugs via multiple clinical trial mechanisms
Thoracic Oncology Program Members
Lung cancer management is a complex and rapidly evolving field that is blurring traditional specialty lines. It is only through a fully integrated multidisciplinary approach like the USC Thoracic Oncology Program that all of these exciting developments can be put into practice in a streamlined fashion. Our physicians will communicate with you throughout the evaluation and treatment process to keep you fully informed about your patient’s treatment plan.
- Afshin Rashtian, MD - Assistant Professor of Radiation Oncology
Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
About USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center
One of only a few facilities in California built exclusively for cancer research and patient care, the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of the original eight comprehensive cancer centers in the United States designated by the National Cancer Institute. The close affiliation between the hospital and cancer center offers immediate benefit to patients seeking the latest breakthroughs in cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. Clinical trials are available for eligible patients in all stages.
To speak to an expert in the multidisciplinary USC Thoracic Oncology Program, please call (323) 865-3111.
To learn more about lung cancer, please click here.